Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Inspirations

For this post, I want to share with you some of my inspirations and heroes in illustration.

The first artist is Beatrix Potter. Her illustrations for me are a breath of fresh air.  It's simple and yet complicated; the colors, washes, and lines she used in her drawings were so alive and real.  Though I am fascinated with Peter Rabbit, I instantly fell in love with her illustrations in The Tale of Jeremy Fisher, The Tale of Jemima Puddle-Duck and The Tale of Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle.



The next artist that fascinates me is Arthur Rackham. I know a lot of you love his works and his influence in illustration / fairy tales is huge.  I love how he used muted earth colors in his paintings and the line works are so distinct.  His illustrations are so alive and full of magic.




The third one is very popular indeed, he is the reason why I love faeries so much! He is Brian Froud. I was a six year old kid when I was in awe with Labyrinth, and little did I know that I would rediscover the artist behind that film when I was studying Fine Arts in college.  My favorite faerie illustrations are of course the ones in his Fairies book.




And last but not the least is...Tony Diterlizzi.  Tony's story of success as a children's book author and illustrator is not just an inspiration for me but also my driving force to keep doing what I love to do and if you believe in your work, well you will eventually succeed.  His art is beyond awesome and his creativity is really really inspiring.



1 comment:

  1. All great artists. I think the tale of Mrs. Tiggywinkle was always my favorite. The second Froud pic has to be one of my all time favorite pieces of his. Though I love all his stuff, I much prefer his older watercolour work to his more recent acrylic work.

    ReplyDelete